We’ve arrived at the final week of this month’s four straight weeks of delicious, healthy, clean recipes to help you reach your weight loss goals this year. Below, three more complete dinners under 500 calories, including one vegetarian meal, to add to your repertoire, thanks to Chef Kelly Boyer at PALETA.
Dinner 1: Balsamic Grilled Grass Fed Skirt Steak With Haricot Vert and Garbanzo Bean Salad
Total calories: 409 calories
Yield: 4 servings
Balsamic Grilled Skirt Steak
1 pound grass fed skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. dark brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp. sea salt salt, divided
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, dark brown sugar, and minced garlic in a large zip-top plastic bag.
2. Add steak, turning to coat; seal and marinate at room temperature 30 minutes.
3. Remove steak from bag; discard marinade. Season with ¼ tsp. sea salt.
4. Heat a large grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle both sides of steak with remaining ¼ tsp. salt and pepper.
5. Add steak to pan; cook 2-3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Remove steak from pan; cover loosely with foil and let rest 5 minutes before slicing steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
Haricot Vert and Garbanzo Bean Salad
¾ lb haricots verts (or local green beans), trimmed
½ cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup red onion, sliced
½ cup butternut squash, diced
2 tsp. olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme for garnish
12 cherry tomatoes for garnish
sea salt & fresh black pepper to taste
1. Heat a pot of boiling water to blanch the haricots verts or green beans. Add a few pinches of salt to season the water.
2. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and set aside.
3. Add the trimmed haricot verts to the boiling water and blanch for 1 minute, until bright green.
4. Remove haricots verts from boiling water and place in ice water to stop the cooking process.
5. Heat a large skillet and add 1 tsp olive oil. Add in the butternut squash and sauté for 5 minutes or until soft.
6. Add red onion and haricots verts to the skillet and sauté for another 2 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and fresh black pepper.
7. To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the second tsp. of olive oil, vinegar, lemon zest, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
8. Drain and dry the blanched haricot verts and then add to a large salad bowl with the garbanzo bean mixture. Toss with the vinaigrette.
9. Serve onto 4 plates with sliced steak and garnish with fresh thyme sprigs and cherry tomatoes.
Dinner 2: Lemon Herb Grilled Chicken With Seasonal Lentil Salad
Total calories: 359 calories
Yield: 4 servings
Seasonal Vegetable Lentil Salad
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
½lb brown lentils, rinsed
1 medium cucumber, seeded, skin on and ½ inch dice
1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
½ cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup broccoli, loosely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
4 cups arugula, loosely packed
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
¾ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1. Place lentils, bay leaves and garlic into a large saucepan. Add water to cover and bring to a boil.
2. Turn heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until lentils are tender. Drain, discarding bay leaves. Transfer to a bowl, add tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and chopped parsley.
3. Bring a saucepan of salted water to a rolling boil and cook broccoli and carrots until crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes. Drain and rinse with ice-cold water and drain again.
4. Add broccoli and carrots to lentils. Toss all ingredients to combine.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, salt and black pepper. Pour over lentil mixture and lightly toss.
6. Serve over fresh arugula.
Lemon Herb Grilled Chicken
1 lb boneless, skinless cage free chicken breasts
2 Tbsp., extra virgin olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
½ tsp. dried oregano
1 ¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ tsp. lemon zest
1. Place chicken breasts between 2 pieces of wax paper and, using a meat mallet or any canned food, pound to an even ½-inch thickness.
2. Mix all ingredients except chicken together in a 1-gallon zip-lock bag.
3. Add chicken breasts and massage marinade into meat until evenly coated. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 4-6 hours.
4. Clean grill and preheat to high.
5. Place chicken breasts on the grill. Grill, covered, for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes; slice in strips and serve on top of lentils and arugula.
Dinner 3: Grilled Quinoa Black Bean Burger With Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Dilled Zucchini Pickles
Total Calories: 465 calories
Yield: 4 servings
Grilled Quinoa Black Bean Burger
1 15oz can of cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped
½ medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. Sriracha (chili sauce)
½ cup cooked quinoa (follow instructions on box)
4 whole grain buns, sliced in half and lightly toasted
1 large tomato, sliced into 4 thick slices
1 small red onion, sliced into 4 thick rings
1 cup baby spinach raw
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
Sea salt & fresh black pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat grill for high heat; use half of olive oil to lightly coat a sheet of aluminum foil
2. In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion and garlic; add black beans and pulse just a few times to coarsely blend
3. In a medium bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin and Sriracha.
4. Add the mashed bean mixture and cooked quinoa to egg mixture in bowl and combine until all ingredients are evenly blended, being careful to not over mix.
5. Form mixture into four patties; place patties on foil and grill about 8 minutes on each side, remove from grill. You can also sear on your stove-top using a skillet or non-stick pan.
6. Brush onion rings with olive oil, season with salt & pepper, and place on grill two minutes on each side, remove from grill.
7. Place light layer of spinach on bottom half of bun, followed by the black bean burger, tomato slice and grilled onion. Enjoy with ketchup and Dijon or yellow mustard.
2 medium zucchini, sliced into ¼” chips
½ green pepper, chopped
1 small white onion, sliced thin
2 tsp. pickling salt
1 tray of ice cubes
1/8 cup unprocessed palm sugar or ⅛ cup agave
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. dill, dried
1 tsp. mustard seed
½ tsp celery seed
1 tsp. turmeric
1. Place zucchini, pepper, onion, pickling salt and ice cubes in large bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 3 hours and drain well.
2. Bring palm sugar or agave, vinegar and seasoning to a boil.
3. Add zucchini mixture and heat just to boiling point. Store in an air-tight container.
4. Allow to marinate for 12-24 hours before enjoying.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
2 large sweet potatoes, skins left on and sliced into ½ inch wedges
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. cumin, ground
1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. fresh black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. In a medium bowl, toss all of the ingredients together until the sweet potatoes are lightly coated.
3. Spread sweet potatoes in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake until sweet potatoes are fork tender and golden brown, turning occasionally, about 20-25 minutes and serve while hot.